So, this is what I made for a light dinner. My dad just came back from sending mom to the airport. She got some seminars in Kota Bharu and won't be back until Friday. So there's only 3 of us left, my dad, me and my lil brother. My dad brought McDonald's for dinner (very exemplary, dad) but I'm not that hungry to eat a big mac (see, my dad thought I was a guy. Big mac, really??) so I decided to make a simple dish with some french bread. I actually not sure of what people call it. I just call it "roti panjang" which I used to hit my brother with. Hehe. So here's the easy-peasy recipe:
First, the ingredients
- fresh tomatoes
- 1/2 fresh onion
- 4 cloves fresh garlic
- 1 bunch fresh basil
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- french bread (I seriously not sure what it's called. sorry)
I used 1 and a half tomatoes for a serving of 3. It's really up to you to put in as many or as less as you prefer. The same goes to the onion, garlic, basil, salt and pepper. As long as it tastes good, It's good to go :)
Here's the steps
1) Dice the tomatoes as small as you could. I'm not a good cook, so my tomatoes were a bit chunky
2) Finely chop the onion (make sure it's fine) and put 'em in the bowl together with the tomatoes
3) Chop the garlics (also make sure it's fine) and toss 'em into the bowl of deliciousness
4) Add some fresh basil to taste
5) Add in the extra virgin olive oil, salt, and pepper and mix the ingredients thoroughly.It is best to leave the mixture in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to ensure the flavors really blend in (I'm starting to feel like a chef now ;P)
6) This is the part where you toast 'em bread. It's best to use an oven, but since mine broke down, I just used the toaster. As long as you toast it, any method would be fine.
7) Using a pastry brush, lightly brush the bread with olive oil. Then apply a thin layer (very2 thin layer, for those calorie conscious people out there) of sour cream onto the bread
8) Finally pile as much of the bruschetta as possible onto the bread and enjoy!
Ok, so I actually ended up with some leftovers (coz I only made 3 toasted bruschetta) so guess what? If you're a lazybum like me and don't want to go through anymore of those bread-cutting and toasting and brushing and all that, you can just eat 'em like that. Y'all know, make a damn salad.
There you go, healthy food to the max!
